Sunday, October 5, 2008

Efficiency: My Opiate

Efficiency. Nothing brings me more satisfaction or wears out the cartilage in my temporomandibular joint like it. And perhaps like other abused substance, it's times of stress (like starting off as a grad student at MIT) that make me turn to it more. It's those moments when I have the least amount of time and the maximum amount of work that I can't keep my mind off how I could be doings things faster, with less effort, and preferably through my google account.
Every morning I print out an updated todo list and weekly agenda onto a notecard. Cheaper then a smartphone, slimmer then a AtAGlance planner, it's the best PDA I've ever used.

A Casualty of Efficiency. One of my notecards assimilates itself into the backpocket of my favorite white pants after running them through the dryer. I'm loathe to throw it out, so I'm considering running it through the wash again with another pink notecard in the right pocket to even it out.


Where the information of my life is held. If google ever goes crazy and sells all my data to the world I'll be screwed because then they'll know how boring my life is.


Where papers go to not be seen again. The classic file setup = hands down the max marg utility as far as organization goes. (not pictured: stacks of surrounding papers yet to be filed)


Mandatory automatic labeler. What? Couldn't get your personal file setup off the ground? It's because you were missing this dude. This makes organizing FUN.


My new computer. Now in class I can draw obscene drawings right on my computer as opposed to on a piece of a paper (very old fashioned). Average hours per day spent taking digital notes: 3 Average hours per day spent restarting computer, repairing wireless modem, staring at frozen vista screen: 3 (efficiency = at least breaking even)

My bed caught fire momentarily afterward.

David Allen's GTD. My joy. My Sorrow. Seriously if you are anybody who has more then 2 things to do at once, you should get this book.


In the end, it's all about control. If you setup enough devices, organization systems, personal reminders, and automatic labelers... it makes you feel like you got it. Now, finally, I can get some work done.

No comments: