Tuesday, October 14, 2008

‘Merica: how to pronounce America for foreigners.

Classes have started, and along with them, an entirely new understanding of the word intense. In fact, I was talking with Javier a bit earlier tonight and trying to describe what life here is like. I remember analogizing it roughly as follows:

If Cambridge were a function, it would be the Intensity function, I(t). Furthermore, it would have an incredibly positive second derivative with respect to time. For those of you out there not interested in endeavo(u)ring, Cambridge is, to put it another way, a roller coaster drop that keeps getting steeper and steeper… eventually curving upon itself as in one of those nauseating Escher paintings.

After having completed nearly three days of safety training last week, and successfully passing the infamous Materials Science Departmental Safety Test (>50% fail rate, first time around), I’ve finally made it to the promised land of real coursework. Starting Monday, I embarked upon my semester course load of 8 courses (3 business, 5 science). Many out there must be thinking that either the Brits have a completely different system or I’ve absolutely lost my mind. Fortunately, the former is true and the courses generally only meet twice a week for two hours each and last about 2/3 of the semester. Thus, in any week, I’ve only got 6 classes to attend to. Furthermore, most of my classes have no homework associated with them and from what I understand, there are no final exams. As a side note, I will assuredly use this medium to lament should my final exam assumption prove to be false.

Regardless of the format, the coursework is intense and I’ve had to position myself into a nice little rhythm of waking early and pre-studying for about three hours, going to class for another four hours, and then reviewing some of my notes in the Gates Scholars Room (see below) for an hour or two before dinner or Business School (depending on the day).



Undoubtedly, my mother would at this point make sure to remind me that my mental health is just as important as my marks in school and as a way of calming her nerves I’d like to report that it seems to be the policy of Cambridge that you must have twice the social life as you do an academic one. This includes things like societies and organizations, drinking clubs, sports, formal dinners and dances, and drink receptions for no good reason. In the next two weeks I’ve got two drink receptions, three clubs to drop in on, a formal dinner, a Dinner cruise on the Thames in London, and a trip to Edinburgh, Scotland fully planned and purchased. Life is intense.

Brussels next month. Any takers?

Below, please find a picture of a formal dinner in the hall with fellows. Below this, please find the intended result of the formal hall.






The final theme I’d like to hit on is the joy with which I like to fall into the stereotype of the obnoxious and arrogant American (for good reason). Whether it’s the British language, their food, tea time, or simply riding on the wrong side of the road… nothing pleases me more than to make a quaint British ritual into a big deal in an effort to make a point to all nearby Brits and Europeans: You’ve got your heads stuck up your asses just as far as we do if you truly believe the stereotypes that circulate among these parts. The best treatment is to first make them thing you’re a dolt of an American and then debate them regarding Gordon Brown’s reappointment of Peter Mandelson to Business Secretary. Nothing makes friends better than smashing stereotypes through intentional confrontation. In somewhat related news, the Chinese seem to have the same allergies to caucasians as Korean Americans do back home. Not news: British Koreans are like Korean Americans.

I’ll never understand why people fly thousands of miles only to surround themselves with people from their home.

Cambridge University Chinese Soccer Team: They hope to play other equally valid teams like the Cambridge University Heterosexuals-Only Soccer Team and the CU Brunettes-Only soccer team.



Korean Church. If you want to go, the directions are right there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well,I must rate; an honorable mention in your blog. Thanks for hearing me and all my "mother" worries. MOM

Anonymous said...

Cambridge sounds awesome